7 Reasons to Visit Your Dentist Regularly
Most people know it’s important to take care of their teeth, but did you know that even with brushing and flossing at home you still need to have regular dental check-ups?
At Northland Village Dental Centre, we are passionate about preventive care. Annual or bi-annual cleanings at your dental office in Calgary provide routine maintenance that keeps your teeth and gums in optimal condition.
Aside from a professional cleaning and polishing, your dentist will look for any developing problems that, when caught early, can save you time, money and prevent related health issues.
Regular Dental Check-Ups Can Prevent Disease
The mouth is a haven for bacteria. Mostly caused by food and other normal occurrences, a lot of bacteria is unusual and may indicate:
1. Periodontal disease. Plaque and calculus naturally build up on our teeth. It’s painless but, if it’s not removed regularly, it will quietly fester under the gum line and release enzymes that dissolve bone tissue.
2. Tooth decay. Cavities left for too long can become big problems. Large cavities cause pain, swelling and tooth loss. Loss of permanent teeth makes chewing food difficult and speaking clearly a challenge.
3. Gum disease. Gum disease increases the level of bacteria in the mouth so dramatically that it ends up in the bloodstream and travels throughout the body to vital organs and blood vessels.
Links Between Oral Health and Overall Health
Your dentist in Calgary can identify problems during your routine check-up that are not visible with regular oral care at home. This is especially important as patients age.
When inflammation and tooth decay are found, other changes in your health are often associated with it. That’s why dentists take your overall history into consideration and ask about your current health at each visit.
4. Diabetes can reduce your body’s resistance to infection, making some patients more susceptible to gum disease.
5. Cardiovascular disease can sometimes be linked to inflammation and infection caused by oral bacteria and gum disease.
6. Osteoporosis causes weak and brittle bones. It is often first detected by periodontal bone loss or excessive loss of teeth.
7. Alzheimer’s disease is often in question when patients under the age of 35 begin losing their teeth without any other obvious reason.
Finding Calgary Dentists
Regular visits to your dentist are critical in maintaining your overall health and well-being. Getting preventive care now, provides a lot of protection in the future.
The friendly dentists at Northland Village Dental Centre believe in providing quality preventive care to each of our patients in a comfortable and relaxing environment. So if you’re looking for a dentist in Calgary, don’t hesitate. We accept new patients of all ages. Book your appointment today!